Pages

Monday, May 11, 2015

A small orchidarium

Several months ago, our Betta's 2.6 gallon tank sprung a leak (and the tank was really too small anyway, so he now resides in a 5 gallon). Plant lover + empty tank = terrarium.

Taking inspiration from another grower, I decided to carpet the bottom with Utricularia sandersonii, so that it would make a bright green mat of leaves and, when blooming, add interest. It also helps keep the humidity up. J&L Orchids was having a good sale, so I purchased a few minis (Lepanthes gargoyla, Salpistele brunnea, and Scaphosepalum rapax) and mounted them on a piece of cork bark. This is how it looks after a few months of growing out:


It wasn't too difficult to set up. I added silicone to the bottom to seal the leak, since the Utricularia wants it wet. The LED fixture that came with the tank was way too dim, so I bought a Jungle Dawn 13W LED. It's bright. More than enough for these orchids. In fact, the Lepanthes colored up within a few days. There isn't much air movement, but I haven't (yet) had to combat fungus or mold. I suspect that the lid, which isn't very tight, allows for some movement as does the daily misting I give the plants.

Utricularia sandersonii carpet
The Salpistele brunnea hasn't bloomed yet, but I'm not surprised. I hear it's slow and there isn't a lot of cultivation information out there. The Sppm. rapax makes the weirdest flower:


But my favorite one in the tank is Lepanthes gargoyla. This is a fantastic, tolerant, and vigorous miniature. It produces two different kinds of leaves: short, smooth, more or less upright leaves that don't bear flowers, and longer, pendulous, fuzzy leaves that bear magnificent little flowers. I can't get enough of this one and wish I had a better camera to capture its beauty.


See the little gargoyle face?

It blooms sequentially; a new bud starts developing soon after the flower fades and drops off. Lepanthes is perhaps my favorite genus (next to Oeceoclades; I know, apples to oranges). Unfortunately, many are cool to cold growers and wouldn't last long in my intermediate to warm conditions. Lepanthes gargoyla is one of the more tolerant species.

No comments:

Post a Comment